Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Snapkins

While we were eating dinner tonight I asked Emma if she would go and get everyone a "snapkin." She responded politely, with a "yes ma'am" and got up from the table to get the "snapkins." I'm sure many of you have already figured out that "snapkins" is our way of saying napkins. Emma came up with the mispronunciation when she was a toddler, learning to talk, and Cameron and I both thought it was so cute that we have continued to call them that ever since.

I think Emma enjoys us remembering her younger days with the usage of some of her mispronounced words. I can still see her big brown eyes under her straight, blonde bangs at the dinner table asking for another "snapkin.". In the future, I can see Cameron and I being old and grey, enjoying our grandchildren and teaching them to use their "snapkins" instead of their sleeve. And their mom or dad will be saying something like, "don't teach my children gibberish, use real words so they know how to say it correctly." (Something I remember saying to my own mom many, many times.) And, Cameron and I, in our older, wiser place in life, will just smile and nod, and make sure the little angels know about the proper use of a "snapkin."


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Weatherford,United States

1 comment:

  1. That is fabulous! There are so many words we continue to mispronounce because Jackson did (or still does) and I know because of Caroline, Rapunzel will forever be referred to as Capunzel in our home. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete