Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Jumping on the Bed

When I was a kid I was NOT allowed to jump on the bed. I got in trouble many, many times for jumping on my bed, but nothing stopped me. I was fearless, or a brat - one of the two! ;o) It was the best thing you could do inside on a bad weather day. And to make matters worse I was one of the unfortunate children who did not have a trampoline in my yard, so jumping on the bed was the next best thing.

I specifically recall a time when my neighbor, Erin and I got a spanking because we were jumping on the bed. I think the reason I remember that punishment so vividly is because Erin's dad came by our house at the exact same time we were getting our butts busted and wanted to know what was going on. My dad told him we were jumping on the bed and that he had told us many times to stop and we did not, so he gave us a spanking. Amazingly, her dad was okay with it and told his daughter to behave and listen to my parents. As a side note, I cannot think of too many people I would allow to spank my kids. That seems like something that should be reserved for parents. Just sayin'. . .

Also, I remember thinking my parents had bought me a trampoline one summer while I was on my yearly trip to my Grandma's house. They had called me and told me they had a surprise for me when I got home. I kept bugging them for clues, and the only thing they would tell me was that it was big. I just knew it was a trampoline. So, the entire three hour drive home from my Grandma's I was so excited, and certain I was coming home to the best surprise ever. We finally pull up to the house and my big surprise. . . new sidewalks!!! My parents had new sidewalks poured, and they thought I would love it because I could roller skate on them. Let me just say, that almost 20 years later I'm still pissed I didn't get a trampoline!!! Hahahahahaha!!!

Anyway....

I'm not sure if it's because I was not allowed to or if I just don't agree with the "it damages the furniture" argument, but I have always let my kids jump on the bed. There is so much joy in them when their bouncing around on the mattress screaming and giggling. It just seems wrong to squash that pure, innocent happiness, ya know?!?

We also have had a trampoline since Emma was about 5, and we actually just replaced it with a new one this year, because the old one was worn out. It seems like since we've had a trampoline the kids jump on the bed way less. So, if you are one of those parents who is on the don't-jump-on-the-bed bandwagon, you should consider getting a trampoline to keep the kiddies off the beds.

Happy Jumping Everyone!!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment